As the third segment of the Rupple Road project, these improvements will relocate an existing portion of N. Rupple Road to align with the existing signalized intersection on W. Mt. Comfort Road. The project will include:
• Four lanes divided by a center median.
• New four-lane bridge over Hamestring Creek.
• A dedicated right turn lane at the intersection with W. Mt. Comfort Road.
• 6-foot-wide sidewalk along the east side of the roadway.
• 12-foot-wide shared-use trail along the west side of the roadway.
• Creation of a four-way signaled intersection with W. Mt. Comfort Road.
Why is it important?
This arterial will provide an alternate north and south bound route to I-49 that extends from Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard to Mount Comfort Road. Additionally, this relocation will alleviate the existing undesirable offset intersection with W. Mount Comfort Road and will make it much more efficient and safe for motorists, bicyclists, pedestrians, etc.
What is the current status?
The Construction Bid Opening was held on November 29th with Crossland Heavy Contractors, Inc. being the apparent low bidder at $5,574,726.35. On December 19, 2017, the City Council approved a resolution awarding the contract to Crossland Heavy Contractors. A Notice To Proceed was issued to the contractor on June 2018.
When is completion expected?
Construction should take approximately 14 months with a completion expected in August 2019.